File photo

Morocco’s national football team has been escorted out of Guinea following a coup that took place in the capital Conakry on Sunday, September 5.

The team was in a preparatory mood to play a World Cup qualifier on Monday, September 6.

The development comes after football’s governing body Fifa and their African counterparts CAF postponed the game after the Moroccan delegation was trapped in its Conakry hotel.

After hours of uncertainty and with some players ‘worried’ according to Halilhodzic, both the Moroccans and the match officials were finally given an escort to the airport, from where they flew out late on Sunday.

“Guinea’s borders are currently closed, but the Moroccans and match officials were given special authorisation to leave,” Cellou Diallo, who often reports for Canal+, told BBC Sport Africa.

Earlier in the day, soldiers had appeared on Guinea’s national TV claiming to have dissolved the government, although the defence ministry said the attempted takeover had been thwarted by the presidential guard.

NEWSWIRE GH

Paper talk – September 6, 2021

Previous article

France footballer Jean-Pierre Adams dies after 39 years in coma

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Comments are closed.