Fire has destroyed dozens of shops at Accra Central. It’s unclear what led to the fire and whether any one is trapped in the fire. Personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service were are at the scene to douse the inferno.

The fire started from one of the shops on the topmost part of the building and ravaged mostly general merchandise and became an inferno in minutes.

Conflicting reports had it that the fire started between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.

It took the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) and the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) Fire Service over four hours to contain the fire from spreading into adjoining buildings.


As of 2 p.m. Monday, the fire continued to blaze, even after the GNFS had exhausted water from nine fire tenders and one more from the GAF.

At some point, however, the rescue effort bordered on the bizarre, as officers resorted to the use of buckets and head pans to fetch and spray water to douse tongues of fire that had dropped to the ground floor.

By that point, however, traders on the ground floor had started salvaging some of their wares.

With property, mainly trading wares, running into millions of  Ghana cedis up in flames, it was a matter of course that there was a chorus of wailing among affected traders and even onlookers.


Amid the disaster, a line-up of cameras of mobile phones filming proceedings played up the new culture of the mobile phone and social media age.

No casualty was recorded, however, in the affected building, which is located directly opposite the Makola Shopping Mall.

The Ghana fire Service has blamed the Ghana Water Company Limited for difficulty in accessing water to douse the flames, an accusation that has been rejected by the GWCL



Watch an amateur video below



Source: with additional details from graphic.

KNUST: SRC elections suspended; committee to probe Conti, Katanga clash

Previous article

Allowances for presidential spouses was approved by Parliament – Oppong Nkrumah

Next article

You may also like


Comments are closed.